Villa a Tolli has ancient origins. “Tollee” is an ancient Etruscan word which means “Elevated Place” and refers to the ancient Etruscan town that gave birth over the centuries to the present village of Villa a Tolli.
The village is located 4 km from the centre of Montalcino and is situated in the centre of the estate that is in one area on the ancient road leading to the Abbey of St. Antimo, built by Carlo Magno around 1200. From 1500 the villa belonged to the noble family Ciacci Piccolomini d’Aragona of Siena.
The village is made up of a manor house and its beautiful Italian garden overlooking the vineyards of the farm. In the garden there is the old tower and a spectacular original wine cellar from 1300 with arched underground vaults, constructed in brick.
Once out of the gate of the villa, you enter the village, consisting of a series of beautifully restored houses, with facades in local stone. The activity of the agritourism takes place inside the farm house, while on the ground floor you find the precious winery of Brunello.
In fact, instead of building a modern winery the owner preferred to restructure and use of all the buildings of the village.
The buildings are made of masonry stone, the floors of original handmade terracotta, the ceilings have wooden beams, rafters and terracotta tiles treated with natural wax. The electrical system is designed with ancient braid and ceramic insulators.
The village is made up of a series of buildings: a church, the laundry the stables, the well and in recent years the gardens, the park and the pool have been added. The area is equipped with a private aqueduct built twenty years ago and a newly authorized sewer line.
The village is surrounded by the silence of the Tuscan countryside and it is even possible by the diversion of a small piece of road (a project already approved by the municipality), to close the property and live in the most serene tranquility.
The medieval village consists of several buildings with a total area of about 4000 square meters and consists of nine properties used for habitation and three buildings for the wine business.
Manor House Villa a Tolli
The eighteenth-century villa has a capacity of 12 beds in 5 large bedrooms each with a bathroom on the first floor leading off a beautiful hall with a vaulted ceiling. On the ground floor the house is complete with a kitchen pantry, a utility room and a large living\dining room, two bedrooms, a bathroom and a study.
– Casa Canonica:
This house adjacent to the Villa, is now used to for agritourism. The area is about 120 square meters and has been improved and completed by the furniture. Capacity: 8 people
– Casa Lidia:
Has a capacity for 6 people and consists of three double bedrooms, two bathrooms and a large kitchen/dining room with a classic Tuscan country cottage fireplace. The property has been
– Casa Caciaia:
Has 5 beds and a layout similar to the previous property.
– Casa Caciaia 2:
Has 3 beds, a large kitchen/dining room with a fireplace, a large bedroom and a bathroom.
– Housing in the rural building known as the “old barn”:
In this typical and characteristic building in the centre of the village there are 2 apartments, one on the first floor with 6 beds, the other on the ground floor for 3 people which consists of a kitchendining room, large bedroom with bathroom and large living room.
– Outside of the agritourism there are other properties:
a house on the corner, refurbished and used by the owner, with 2 bedrooms and 3 wonderful living areas; the house Villona which has been perfectly restored like the other properties with room for banquets, conferences, weddings and room for small conferences, the old studio, old house, now used as a dwelling and finally the former stable a bright building adjacent to the old studio.